Great Hacks to Make this Move Your Most Organized One Ever!
Moving is never a fun time. But if you start early and do things in an organized way, you can get through it without losing your mind. As professional Orange County movers, we’ve collected some simple hacks and money savers that can get you moved with nary a gray hair.
Ready, set, PACK!
- Purge! We can’t say it enough. Why spend good money moving things that you haven’t used for a year (and probably won’t get used at the new place either). We know, we’re sure that you “might” use it one day. But every square foot of the moving truck has a financial value. Are these things worth the financial value of taking up space in the moving truck? Donating the items you don’t use will save you money and can potentially help someone else in need.
- Don’t have that nice cushioning material to put between your plates before packing them? Yes, it’s expensive! Just use some packing paper or paper towels to use between your plates before boxing them. Plastic grocery bags also make good cushioning material. Packing plates vertically makes them less likely to break. Put your glassware and cups in socks. You can also use socks to protect the legs of your sofa and chairs. Use towels, blankets and sheets to cushion and protect larger objects.
- Forget about emptying drawers and boxing up contents. Just wrap the whole drawer in plastic wrap.
- Toilet paper tubes are handy for keeping wires and cables organized.
- Make a list of everything in the box and tape it to the outside. Color code each box for each room with brightly colored stickers so you know where it goes at a glance. Cut triangles in the box about ⅓ the way down from the top to create handles for easier carrying.
- If you’ve removed pictures and paintings around your home leaving a lot of nail holes and you have no spackle, white toothpaste, white bar soap or a paste of baking soda and glue will do the trick. Before you remove the nails, wrap a rubber band around the head of the hammer so you don’t leave marks on the wall.
- If you have a lot of books, pack them in suitcases with wheels. Boxes of books are heavy! Speaking of suitcases and tote bags, use them to pack things in. That will cut down on the boxes you need and utilize the space in the suitcase.
- Invest in some clear zippered storage totes. IKEA has great ones called the Dimpa Bag that are so durable that they’re advertised as being able to hold car tires. Consider some vacuum storage bags that let you remove every last bit of air so you are minimizing the space that each bag takes up on the truck.
Of course, you can just take the really easy way out and let us help. Fastruck Orange County Moving Company is there for you to take the stress out of your moving experience. We offer a full range of moving services for the OC and the surrounding areas of Santa Ana, Anaheim and Fullerton. Our trained professionals will create a customized plan to make your move as stress-free as possible. Call us for a free quote.