Given the specifics of moving labor the prevalence of work related injuries amongst the movers is naturally higher than average. As a responsible moving company we have established an action plan to reduce muscle injuries amongst our Los Angeles movers. The key components of our injury prevention plan are proper training, work place ergonomics and body mechanics courses, use of various assisting devices, and finally maintenance of current worker’s compensation insurance. In the short article below we would like to describe how use simple and affordable tool to decrease back injuries amongst moving professionals.
Shoulder Dolly is extremely powerful tool if properly used. It decreases the use of back muscles utilizing primarily larger leg muscles to lift heavy objects. If used correctly it can be used to efficiently and safely transfer items that are usually not liftable with regular dollies or simply by hands. Our movers in Los Angeles routinely use Shoulder Dollies to lift appliances, china cabinets, long filing cabinets, entertainment centers, and even extra bulky items such as pianos and commercial refrigerators (Sub-Zeroes and Vikings)
How to Use Shoulder Dolly
- Two lifters should wear the harness with the metal buckle facing the front, and the “X” portion of the harness positioned on the back. Ensure that the label is facing outwards and adjusting rod on the buckle facing the front of the lifters.
- Place the long lifting strap in the middle of the object, or in a way to achieve the maximum redistribution of the item’s weight. If tilting the object, such as china cabinet is necessary make sure one of the lifters secures it from falling.
- Both of the lifters should position on the opposite ends of the lifting strap and squat. Lower squatting will result in higher lifting. Maintain straight back and do not lean towards the object.
- Pass the ends of the lifting strap through the buckle from the inside to outside. Make sure that the ends of the strap are facing outside so adjustment could be made easily.
- If adjusting of the strap length is desired simply turn the buckle horizontally and pull the end. Vertical position of the buckle will result in the rod locking the strap and allowing the movers to lift the object.
- Adjust the length of the lifting strap between the two lifters so it would result in approximately even lifting height.
- IMPORTANT: Communicate with the lifting partner on all details and plan of further action.
- Push against the object with both arms while maintaining back straight and simultaneously lift the item with legs. If you feel back strain stop immediately and squat lower to protect back muscles.
- Balance the object with arms and move with your legs.